Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

Being a parent is the most important job here on this earth. I am not a parent yet, but I am a child and one day I hope to be a parent to my child(ren). In church today I learned a bit more how important this job of parenting really is. There are fazes in our life that we will all go through. It starts with eploration. These are the years you need to feel like the world is a safe place and Mom and Dad will always love you and have your back.

When these years have been compromised due to divorce, violence, abandament, etc. the child becomes wounded and when this happens it is very hard to get back that sense of safety. While these wounds can be overcome, wouldn't it just be easier to not scar our children in the first place? I know that no one is perfect, but loving your child is the purist and closest thing to perfection they will know in this world. Life happens, but don't let whatever is going on in your life ever affect how you love your child. Each day they need to know they are special, and treasured, and if anything happens to them, coming home to Mom and Dad will always be the safest place in the world.

I come from one of those broken families. I am working hard to overcome all the wounds that plunged deeply into my soul during those oh so important years. But, I do know now that I have a mom who loves me deeply and is there for me when life is easy and when life is hard. Now, I also have a step-dad to provide me the love and safety I missed for all those years. I thank God for my family each day, and that He heals my wounds and restored the broken family I was brought into. Through His love and the lessons I have learned, I will strive to make my child(ren) feel loved and supported and safe every day of their life. To all you moms out there, hug your child(ren) extra tight today. I know it is a day for you, and you deserve it, but it should never be taken lightly, because as I said before, there is no job more important than being a parent!

Happy Mother's Day!!

No comments: