Friday, March 18, 2011

Health Issues

So... I don't know why my 27 year old body has decided to start acting like a 70 year old, but it has. I had my whole gall bladder incident back in November. Then, I kept having pain in my side (where my gall bladder is). I have literally been in pain since I had the procedure in November... I kept thinking, soon it will go away. In the last couple months my throat and ears have been hurting non stop and I have been EXHAUSTED. Thank God I don't have kids or a hubby right now or they would have been so neglected. I was so tired some days I wanted to cry!

I went to the doctor and do you know what she told me? That my nerves feel pain longer than other people's and some people are just more tired than others. Well, the second part may be true, but come on...getting a good 8-9 hours of sleep and barely being able to keep my eyes open all day? That can't be normal. And the nerves thing... well I am sorry, that is just the most asinine thing I have EVER heard!

So, I got my thyroid tested (I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 19). Turns out my levels were off, which explained some tiredness. I was finally scheduled for an ultrasound on March 3 and the results were, "Nothing! There is nothing in your side that should be causing pain." Well, then why does it hurt all the time?

I found a new doctor as soon as crazy doc said I had overactive nerves, and finally saw the new doc this past Monday. I was also working with an endocrinologist and figured out I was taking my medicine wrong. (Apparently, you can't take any sort of Antacid meds at the same time as thyroid meds because it does not allow your body to absorb the thyroid meds.) I had been taking these drugs simultaneously for the last 6 months! Ahhh! I was sabotaging myself and didn't even know it!

So, the new doc was AMAZING. We talked about my thyroid meds and she let me start taking it correctly and not have to up my dosage... I don't want to be on more meds than I need to. (You will see why in a sec.) I talked to her about my ongoing earaches and sore throat (Allergies, I thought, but I take Zyrtec every day!) She said there was fluid in my ears and my throat looked a bit irritated. She said it was probably because of my acid reflux (which I had been trying to treat unsuccessfully with OTC meds.) She prescribed a one time pill I take now in the evening (so it does not coincide with my thyroid meds). My OTC meds had to be taken twice a day and were not working that well, hense the sore throat! Let me tell you this pill is a dream! No sore throat, no waking up in the middle of the night with a burning throat as I had been; it's amazing! So now, I wake up everyday at 4 am and take my thyroid meds to make sure NOTHING interferes with it. Before dinner I take my antacid. I also take Zyrtec for my allergies before bed.

Back to my appointment. :) So, my side pain. I laid down on the exam table and she asked where it hurt. I pointed, she pushed and said... well, that's not your gall bladder. Really? What do you think it is? She said, hmm, well, let's do an exam and see if you have a cyst on your ovary. My ovary!!!??? Isn't that down here... I pointed way lower than where it hurt. Turns out my nerves are feeling pain in a different place than it really is. Although it hurts by my ovary as well (as confirmed in the exam... wowsa that was some fun pain!) So, the good news is I know what it is... the bad news, they can't really do anything about cysts unless they get really big or twist around your ovary. Most just dissolve on their own, some clearly taking longer than others (as in my case)! Birth control can help prevent them, but that is why I am on birth control, and oh wait, I still have cysts!

The doctor and I also talked about my tiredness. She looked at my thyroid levels, and said she didn't think they were off enough to explain my extreme tiredness. Really? She said, maybe we should up your depression meds. She gave me a depression survey (required if you are going to receive a higher dosage) and I swear it could have been written based on my symptoms ....trouble doing things that used to be easy, challenged by everyday activities, move slower than you used to, extreme tiredness, etc. There was a lot more and I wish I had a copy, but I was shocked to know my depression could cause my lack of energy for life. Mainly because I am really happy with life right now besides being so FREAKIN' tired! So, we upped that as well. We doubled my dose which means I take two pills.

Now I have one of those grandpa pill cases.

It even has two sides (am and pm). I have my thyroid meds on one side, because I do not want to mess it up! I have my two depression pills, my allergy meds, birth control, and benadryl (to help me sleep) on the pm side. I take my antacid around 5 (just carry the bottle with me) and I take Calcium (since taking the antacid long term can deter your body from getting enough) and Vitamin B for energy (gotta get it where I can!) at lunch time. Few! Too many pills I know. I am hoping to go down in the depression meds when my thyroid levels are on track again. (Low thyroid levels can cause depression which may be why this sudden onset of tiredness happened all at once and why the depression meds have helped.) I would love to go off birth control but last time I did that my face went crazy! And I am already having some skin issues (luckily no pill for that, just some cream!) and I don't want to mess with it anymore. But, since the BC doesn't prevent cysts for me, why am I on it? (other than the skin thing, and it is CLEARLY not helping that right now!)

Anyways, I stopped working out when I thought the pain was my gall bladder. Two reasons: 1) It hurt! 2) I was scared it would rupture and I would have to go to the ER and since we switched insurance companies... I can't afford that! So, now that I have my clean bill of health, I am good to go on the working out. I want to start running. I got the below info through some blog stalking and I am going to try it!

Week 1

Session 1 (36 minutes):
Run 1 minute. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 12 times.

Session 2 (27 minutes):
Run 1 minute. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 9 times.

Session 3 (33 minutes):
Run 1 minute. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 11 times.

Week 2

Session 1 (44 minutes):
Run 2 minutes. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 11 times.

Session 2 (30 minutes):
Run 1 minute. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 10 times.

Session 3 (40 minutes):
Run 2 minutes. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 10 times.

Week 3

Session 1 (50 minutes):
Run 3 minutes. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 10 times.

Session 2 (36 minutes):
Run 2 minutes. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 9 times.

Session 3 (45 minutes):
Run 3 minutes. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 9 times.

Week 4

Session 1 (40 minutes):
Run 3 minutes. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 8 times.

Session 2 (28 minutes):
Run 2 minutes. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 7 times.

Session 3 (35 minutes):
Run 2 minutes. Walk 3 minutes. Do this 7 times.

Week 5

Session 1 (40 minutes):
Run 3 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 10 times.

Session 2 (30 minutes):
Run 2 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 10 times.

Session 3 (36 minutes):
Run 3 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 9 times.

Week 6

Session 1 (48 minutes):
Run 5 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 8 times.

Session 2 (36 minutes):
Run 2 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 12 times.

Session 3 (40 minutes):
Run 3 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 10 times.

Week 7

Session 1 (55 minutes):
Run 10 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 5 times.

Session 2 (40 minutes):
Run 3 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 10 times.

Session 3 (48 minutes):
Run 5 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 8 times.
Week 8

Session 1 (44 minutes):
Run 10 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 4 times.

Session 2 (32 minutes):
Run 3 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 8 times.

Session 3 (42 minutes):
Run 5 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 7 times.

Week 9

Session 1 (58 minutes):
Run 10 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Run 20 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Run 15 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Run 10 minutes.

Session 2 (44 minutes):
Run 10 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 4 times.

Session 3 (48 minutes):
Run 15 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 3 times.

Week 10

Session 1 (61 minutes):
Run 30 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Run 30 minutes.

Session 2 (44 minutes):
Run 10 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 4 times.

Session 3 (47 minutes):
Run 20 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Run 15 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Run 10 minutes.

Week 11

Session 1 (61 minutes):
Run 40 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Run 20 minutes.

Session 2 (44 minutes):
Run 10 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 4 times.

Session 3 (47 minutes):
Run 20 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Run 15 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Run 10 minutes.

Week 12
Session 1 (50 minutes)
Run 50 minutes.

Session 2 (33 minutes)
Run 10 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 3 times.

Session 3 (47 minutes)
Run 15 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Run 15 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Run 10 minutes.

Week 13

Session 1 (40 minutes)
Run 40 minutes.

Session 2 (33 minutes)
Run 10 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 3 times.

Session 3
Event: See you at the finish line. Or run 60 minutes.

Wish me luck!!!

3 comments:

Kami Satterlee said...

Wow girl! Crazy pill popper! You sound like me:) We seem to have the same issues, to funny. I'm glad you changed doctors. The older I get the more I realize that some people just shouldn't be doctors.

rachel garber said...

Jessica, I know I haven't talked to you since high school but I had to tell you that I have had the same kinds of medical mysteries for the past five years and the #1 rated doctors in Arizona have NO IDEA. It's so frustrating. I've narrowed mine down to hormonal issues but the gyno said that my levels were all normal and so there is nothing more than can do . . . however, any time of the day/week/month I can break out in a sweaty face (the kind when you have the flu and it's all clammy and the only thing you do is constantly wipe it off) and a closed off and gunky throat. I've logged everything from hours of sleep, foods I'm eating, detergent I'm using, make up I'm using, am I on my period or off, did I sleep with the window open or closed???? I've seen a neurologist, gyno, regular doctor and dermatologist. So far they've told me, Um, hm, that sucks. Online says it is facial hyperhydrosis but there is nothing to cure it. Lame. So good luck and I hope those pills help you!! - Rachel

THE CORMELL FAMILY said...

I'm sorry but I had to laugh about your grandpa pill case! That is a lot of meds! I hope that you start feeling better soon!! I used to be on depression meds too - I was always tired & had no energy but the meds only helped me for a few months. Then I found out I was anemic (which I'm not sure if you are or not) but I started to take some iron & I haven't taken a nap in months, I have a lot more energy & not so tired. You might try it. Well I hope you start feeling better soon :)