Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What I Think...

I feel like all around me people are questioning religion or deciding what they do/do not like about their religion (or lack there of). I wanted to share what I think. I don't really like religion (gasp! Cue the lightning bolt) :) I really really believe that religion has squandered what Christ is really about. It causes arguments, uncomfortableness, and separation between those around us. This is nothing that Christ stood for. I once knew someone who didn't like going to church because he felt he was surrounded by hypocrites because he knew what people were doing outside of church. Hello, we are all sinners. No one is perfect or can live perfectly. If you read about how Christ spent his life he was surrounded by "losers", prostitutes, the down and out. And why? Because God wants us to want him. Those people knew how lost they were. And they knew they desperately needed someone to help them through this life.

So, back to religion. I believe loving and trusting in God is purely relational. I do not believe it matters what you do or how many weeks in a row you make it to church. For the record, I haven't been to church in over two months, but I feel closer to God now than I did a few months ago when I was attending church regularly. I really believe God wants to know me inside and out, and walk with me each day. Contrary to the many people I have met, I do not think I am too small for God to care about me. I had someone ask me once, "You really think God cares if you have a good day?" YES! I truly believe he loves me unconditionally and I am so thankful for that! It is what helps me get through the really shitty days. Yes, shitty. I don't play by the traditional rules of right and wrong. I know what I believe and what matters to me and I follow my own rules.

This brings me back to Religion. I want to encourage all of us, Christian, Catholic, Mormon, whatever you call yourself to stop looking at the differences of religion and start realizing the core values that are the same. Love God, serve others, love and guide the people we bring into this world to be good, Godly people. I think we are all more similar than we let on. It's almost as if we want to divide ourselves and play the "I'm right and you're not" game. If you can look at me and say I know my father in Heaven loves me and I love him, then there is nothing for me to argue with you about. It's actually pretty simple. And, since we realized that, why can't we all just leave it at that. Do I need to be convinced that I should really pray to the mother Mary, or that Joseph Smith brought us the restored gospel? No... because at the end of the day I know how much the father I love, loves you too.

Now, if you don't know this amazing God I speak of, well then we should talk. He's pretty amazing and I can't imagine my life without him. I will introduce you to him if you would like. You can also talk to him yourself. He likes to be called, Jesus or God. :) A lot of his stories can be found in the Bible...

Well, those are my thoughts on the subject. I hope I didn't offend anyone. Don't really know if too many people read this, but for those that do please know this comes from a pure place. I also don't think it matters if you are gay, straight, black, white, cat lover or dog lover, I think everyone can know and love the God that I know. But I'm sure I'll rial some feathers with that thought. :)

No comments: